Arisa Ortez MDArisa Ortiz, MD, is a board-certified dermatologist and director of laser and cosmetic dermatology at UC San Diego Health. She specializes in the latest noninvasive procedures, including laser skin resurfacing, dermal filler and toxin injections, body contouring, skin tightening, and the treatment of scars.
Dr. Ortiz is a frequent speaker at the American Academy of Dermatology, American Society for Dermatologic Surgery, American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery, and currently serves as chair of a national aesthetic meeting.
She was a guest editor for Journal of Lasers in Surgery and Medicine and serves as a reviewer for Dermatologic Surgery Journal. In addition, she has published over 40 original medical articles and chapters on new innovations in cutaneous laser surgery.
She completed a laser and cosmetic dermatology fellowship at Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School and Wellman Center for Photomedicine. She acquired additional fellowship training in Mohs micrographic surgery at UC San Diego. She completed her dermatology residency at UC Irvine and the Beckman Laser Institute. Dr. Ortiz earned her medical degree from Albany Medical College in New York and is board certified in dermatology. She is a fellow of the American Academy of Dermatology (FAAD).
Dr. Ortiz has received many honors and awards including the Doctor's Choice Award in dermatology for La Jolla and the Top Doctor's Award.
According to a report published in the July 2019 issue of Aesthetic Surgery Journal, a significant number of patients, ages 50+, who are seeking cosmetic procedures, believe they are being discriminated against at work because of their age.
In today’s competitive employment market, to still be in the running for career advancements and job opportunities, it is key to appear youthful and energized. Many people are concerned about their aging faces and how it impacts them in the workplace. These changes not only affect their self-esteem but lowers their self-confidence. There have been an increasing number of aging workers who are beginning to consider cosmetic procedures to help them look more youthful, especially if they believe they have been passed over for an advancement or job opportunity due to their age.
Looking youthful and energetic has always been highly valued by society, but there has been a rise in the past several years for both men and women attributed to the media and the acceptance towards having a cosmetic treatment. The wrinkle reduction aesthetic industry is expected to be worth $260 billion by 2022, with some people spending more on skin revitalization each month than they do on their mortgage.
This article will focus on ageism, which is causing an increasing number of the aging population the desire to appear younger. We’ll look at examples of how you can achieve a more youthful appearance. Finally, we’ll share information on a new procedure that helps you reduce wrinkles and fine lines, affecting your self-esteem and raising your confidence in the workplace because of your more youthful appearance.
What is ageism in the workplace?
Ageism, often known as age discrimination, is prejudice based on one’s age. Ageism in the workplace can take various forms. Someone may face age discrimination if an employer refuses to hire them due to their age. Alternatively, an older employee may be fired or treated differently than their younger coworkers due to their age.
According to American Association of Retired Persons (AARP), two out of every three workers between the ages of 45 and 74 have witnessed or experienced workplace ageism. It’s commonly assumed that it only affects employees over the age of 50, but it can begin much younger.
Unfortunately, there’s no denying that appearances matter in the workplace – and cosmetic treatments have proven to be a successful tool for many men and women in maintaining a younger appearance.
How to achieve a youthful appearance?
What are your options? There is no one-size-fits-all solution that will work for everyone. A doctor can recommend the best treatments for you based on your skin type, lifestyle habits, and overall goals, as well as your budget.
Often called non-surgical or minimally invasive procedures, these cosmetic skin treatments can now diminish fine lines & wrinkles, revitalize the skin, and give you appearance of a younger looking face.
five popular anti-aging treatments:
- Ultrasound wrinkle reduction treatments. Ultrasound is a form of wrinkle reduction treatment that uses heat energy in repairing and regeneration of skin cells. Ultrasound can result in both short-term and long-term effects. Ultrasound waves boost blood flow, allowing fibroblasts, the most common cells in the skin, to help the skin renew and manufacture more collagen.
- Microdermabrasion – Microdermabrasion is a process that involves buffing or exfoliating dead skin cells to reveal new skin. The treatment involves spraying tiny hydroxide crystal-like crystals onto the skin, followed by what they refer to as sanding dead skin cells off the face with a high-powered wand.
- Dermal Fillers – Dermal fillers are Injectables these hyaluronic fillers, help add volume to your skin. The procedure involves having the hyaluronic gel injected just under the skin’s surface to improve the skin’s contours and reduce depressions in the skin.
- Anti-wrinkle injections – function by preventing nerve impulses from reaching muscles. The muscle can no longer contract after the injection, causing fine lines and wrinkles to relax and soften. According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, the most common side effects of any botulinum toxin injectable are bruising and pain at the injection site.
- SofwaveTM – There’s a lot of buzz about SofwaveTM the next generation, non-surgical ultrasound treatment, meaning no needles or cutting necessary. How does it work? We’ll explain in detail below.
Sofwave™ Ultrasound treatment softens wrinkles
The Sofwave™ Ultrasound treatment is increasingly popular due to its unique ability to stimulate collagen and elastin under the skin’s surface and fill wrinkles and folds from the inside out. These are the two main proteins that give our skin it’s youthful appearance.
Sofwave™ is non-surgical procedure which delivers low levels of ultrasound energy to the mid dermis layer of your skin. Your body responds to the resulting heat by stimulating collagen production which results in a reduction of fine lines and wrinkles.
Sofwave™ is perfect for those who want a fast 30–45-minute procedure. It is an ideal summer treatment because results are not affected by sun exposure and your daily routine can resume immediately after the procedure, so it won’t interfere with your daily life.
Contact us for a physician finder for doctors in your area that offer this treatment
Ageism – it’s real
Ageism in the workplace is nothing to ignore—it’s real. If you feel less confident when it comes to a job promotion or if you’re searching for new a job, you may want to consider having a cosmetic procedure. You’ll be amazed at the results and will love the new younger looking you!