Sofwave is a highly effective treatment that delivers visible results without the pain and recovery downtime of more invasive treatments.
We’ve put together some commonly asked questions to give you more information about Sofwave technology. If you have a question that you can’t find the answer to, please contact us, and we will answer you shortly.
NOTE: Clicking on the question will reveal the answer
- What is Sofwave?Starting in our mid-20’s, collagen and elastin starts to break down causing our skin to wrinkle. Sofwave is a new, clinically-proven, no downtime, non-invasive approach to rebuilding collagen. Sofwave is FDA cleared for the treatment of fine lines and wrinkles.Sofwave uses a unique delivery form of ultrasound waves, enabling a fast and safe treatment for all ages and skin colors and can be done on all facial and neck areas.
- How does Sofwave work?The ideal depth for treating wrinkles is 1.5mm under the skin. Our unique, Intense Ultrasound Beam™ (IUB) technology generates heat at this exact depth in the mid-dermis. Additionally, there is an integrated cooling mechanism that protects the uppermost skin layer from burning.The impacted treatment zones stimulate a healing response, called neo-collagenases, which increases and regenerates the collagen in the skin, leading to the reduction in fine lines and wrinkles.
- How long is a typical Sofwave Treatment?The treatment itself is fast, taking approximately 30 - 40 minutes for the full face and neck region.
- How long does it take to see results?Immediate results can be seen as soon as 1 week following the treatment. However, the collagen regeneration process can sometimes take up to 12 weeks, so patients are expected to see ongoing improvements in the 3-month period after their treatment.
- How is Sofwave different from other cosmetic procedures?Today there are various energy-based technologies designed to treat facial lines and wrinkles, among them: ablative and non-ablative laser technology, Intense Pulsed Light (IPL), radiofrequency devices and High Intensity Focused Ultrasound (HIFU). Yet, the need for non-invasive aesthetic treatments with proven efficacy, safety and minimal downtime, are still unfulfilled.The more aggressive options can cause damage to the upper skin, which in turn, requires a long healing period and considerable downtime. In addition, there is a higher risk of side effects, including discoloration and discomfort. Even RF micro needling treatments, that have recently become popular, can be uncomfortable, risky and require lengthy downtime.On the other hand, other non-invasive solutions haven’t shown adequate resultsHigh Intensity Focused Ultrasound (HIFU) has also become an accepted mode of treatment for treating wrinkles. This treatment has been associated with multiple drawbacks, among them, limited treatment areas, longer treatment times, excessive pain and additional adverse effects, such as burns and injury to nerves.Sofwave’s unique technology protects the skin surface with a cooling mechanism and the treatment is effective, safe and comfortable for most patients. There is no downtime or pain post treatment.
- What were Sofwave’s clinical results?At 3 months, physicians rated 88% of the patients to be improved to very much improved following a single treatment session only. 72% of the patients were satisfied with their results and rated them as improved to very much improved. The safety profile was excellent with no adverse events reported.
- Can Sofwave replace a surgical procedure?Sofwave is a great alternative for those who are not ready to take that extra step and undergo plastic surgery. The results will be more dramatic in a surgical procedure, but there are risks involved with a surgical procedure, with the anesthesia and the occurrence of scar tissue. With Sofwave, there is no downtime at all and no risk of scarring, infection or nerve injury.
- How is Sofwave different from laser treatments?Sofwave uses sound waves which allow energy to bypass the surface of the skin to treat the underlying skin layer at a depth of 1.5 mm (the mid-dermis). This depth is ideal for treating fine lines and wrinkles.Sofwave can treat all skin colors, where lasers cannot. Lasers usually treat the more superficial skin layers and cannot go deeper without damaging the skin surface, therefore running a greater risk of burning
- What does the Sofwave treatment feel like?As the ultrasound energy is delivered, patients may feel warmness of the skin. Treatment is comfortable simply by applying a topical anesthetic cream just prior to the treatment. Following treatment, there are no sensations and there is no need to apply special care on the skin. Patient may resume their daily care immediately post treatment
- How much does Sofwave cost?The cost of a Sofwave® treatment can vary based on geographic location, and from clinic to clinic. Exact pricing should be discussed with your physician before undergoing treatment.
- Is Sofwave safe?The safety profile was excellent and there were no adverse events reported in the Sofwave clinical study. Part of the reason is that there is an integrated cooling mechanism that protects the uppermost skin layer from burning.
- How many treatments does it take?With Sofwave, the majority of patients only need one treatment; however, some may benefit from an additional treatment, depending on how much skin laxity they have and their body’s own physiological response to the treatment.
- What does collagen do? How does Sofwave stimulate the creation of collagen?Collagen is a natural protein that gives skin its youthfulness by keeping it firm and toned. As we age, collagen breaks down, and the result is sagging skin. Sofwave’s Intense Ultrasound Beam™ (IUB) technology generates heat at this exact depth in the mid-dermis to promote new collagen growth.
- Who is a good candidate for Sofwave?A good candidate for Sofwave is typically, those in their 30s and older who have mild to moderate skin laxity. The potential patient should have some degree of fine lines and wrinkles and/or loose skin under the neck and under the chin.
- Can you use fillers with a Sofwave treatment?Yes, a filler can be applied up to 48 hours before or 48 hours after treatment.